Involvement in the Community
Summer Concerts in the Park
During the summer the Westwinds Brass Band presents a series of seven “Concerts in the Park” in Lubbock on Sunday evenings in June and July. Attendees to these free concerts bring blankets and lawn chairs to enjoy an “old fashioned concert in the park.”
These concerts feature a completely new program for each concert. Included on these concerts are traditional band favorites, marches, patriotic selections, and a soloist for each concert. Another highlight of the program is the “kids march,” where kids of all ages march around the concert area, and are awarded “goodies” at the end of the march.
The Dean Killion Memorial Scholarship Concert
Each year for the past thirteen years in December, the band has presented a scholarship concert in Hemmle Recital Hall at Texas Tech, in memory of our founder, Dean Killion. Proceeds from these concerts are used to fund scholarships for brass and percussion music education majors at Texas Tech University.
Other Performance Activities by the Band
- Performance each year on downtown stage at the “Fourth On Broadway” celebration in Lubbock.
- Performance with the First United Methodist Church Chancel Choirs annual Patriotic Concert on July 4th.
- Performances at retirement centers and civic clubs in the Lubbock area.
- A spring concert performance, usually at a local church.
- Performance at the annual Lubbock Lion’s Club Pancake Supper.
- Performance at the Lubbock Arts Festival